Vice President, Counseling & College Success
at Home Office Openings (View all jobs)
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools was founded based on the belief that all young people, regardless of zip code, are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and more successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 25 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in Los Angeles’ more educationally underserved communities. Founded in 2004, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 71% to a four-year university in 2019. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Vice President, Counseling & College Success reports directly to the Chief Schools Officer and oversees cross-functional team members, with the team growing over time as the department continues to mature. The Vice President, Counseling & College Success will be responsible for implementing and developing secondary and post-secondary support strategies and programs for scholars with an emphasis on the academic and social-emotional development of scholars to best prepare them for college readiness, college access, and college success. The Vice President, Counseling & College Success will be a data-informed decision-maker who embraces a transparent and collaborative work environment with internal and external stakeholders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Counseling & College Success
- Play a key role in leading Alliance college and counseling efforts by using data and all tools available (student information systems, data, etc.) to develop and assess strategic plans to exceed performance targets related to college match, matriculation, persistence, and completion;
- Provide a vision and direction to support new and/ or current resources related to counseling and programming which supports the academic and social-emotional needs of scholars while also leading efforts around administrative competencies regarding college awareness and other college success strategies;
- Lead the College Success Team to analyze and report statistical data related to college-going culture in order to propose and implement appropriate school-based and network-based college supports and initiatives for middle schools, high schools, and alumni;
- Share best practices and other strategies that strengthen counseling and college success work and define the Counseling and College Success Team at school sites;
- Work with other Home Office teams as thought partners and ensures college Success Team initiatives are aligned at schools sites;
- Develop clear timelines and strategies for implementation and progress monitoring while collaborating with and engaging in discussions with staff at different levels to set priorities and deliverables;
- Collaborate with the Alliance Foundation to enable new revenue pipeline opportunities through the development of new and existing partners for scholar donations;
- Develop and establish internal and external partnership outreach strategies, including the identification and prioritization of network schools, non-profits, and higher education institutions;
- Act as an advocate and voice for the College Success Team regarding matters related to Alliance wide priorities and strategies; and
- Collaborate with leadership to ensure success in equity and inclusion efforts to ensure a welcoming and accepting environment and our commitment to being an anti-racist organization.
Team Management & Development:
- Lead and continue to strengthen a service-oriented team environment that fosters collaboration, transparency, creativity, and teamwork;
- Lead and collaborate with staff at different levels across home office teams to set department priorities and deliverables, develop clear timelines, and set strategies for implementation and progress monitoring;
- Ensure talent is sufficiently developed by coaching, training, succession planning, and motivated to maximize effectiveness, productivity, and creativity;
- Provide a vision roadmap to create growth opportunities and ensure individual and team goals are met; and
- Oversee the recruitment, onboarding, and evaluation of full-time and part-time staff.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy;
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting equity, diversity, and inclusivity and commitment to building an anti-racist workplace ;
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively with an emphasis on a “college-going culture” approach;
- Strong knowledge of student information systems, financial aid systems, codes and regulations affecting student services,
- Knowledge and understanding of California Higher Education systems and student services programs;
- A proven track record of developing systems-level vision and strategy and successfully leading and managing the implementation of the vision to transform scholar outcomes;
- Successful experience building and motivating a high performing team;
- A proven track record of leading, managing, and coaching others to increase scholar achievement in public, urban schools, or charter schools;
- Ability to lead effectively in a multi-layered organization and build strong relationships with teachers, coaches, school leaders, senior leadership, and other home office and school-based colleagues;
- Strong customer service orientation, with demonstrated ability to establish and sustain systems to provide great service experiences to stakeholders;
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education;
- Flexibility to adapt to constantly changing environments and continually looking for ways to work proactively to improve systems, structures, and processes with a demonstrated commitment to enhancing one’s own capabilities while also developing others; and
- A graduate degree in education, educational leadership, public administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least (5) years of relevant progressive professional work experience in a related field, including at least (3) years of school leadership or system leadership experience;
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university; graduate degree in education, educational leadership, public administration, or related field preferred;
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office and Google-based applications.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and a comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental and vision. This position is exempt. The compensation range for this position is $122,000 – $160,000.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter at www.laalliance.org/careers. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.