Duluth ISD 709
Announcement of Superintendent Vacancy
The Duluth (Minnesota) Independent School District 709 Board of Education is in search of a Superintendent of Schools for the 2020-2021 school year. This is a preliminary posting; the Board has just begun a comprehensive, national search process. A more detailed profile of the Duluth ISD 709 ideal candidate will be added later. In the interim prospective candidates are encouraged to become acquainted with the community and the school district by visiting the following websites:
With a population of over 85,000 Duluth is the fourth largest city in Minnesota, located on the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior. Within about two hours’ drive of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, Duluth is a major international port whose key industries include education, health care, aviation, technology and tourism.
Outside Magazine recognized Duluth as Best Place to Live in 2014 and Forbes.com named Duluth one of 6 Best Vacation Destinations That Will Improve Your Work. Duluth was named the Best College Town by College Rank and, in 2015, was recognized as one of the Top 10 US Destinations by Lonely Planet.
“Duluth is a place like no other. Breathtaking views of Lake Superior, rocky cliffs and pristine forests with miles of trails to explore. A thriving community to take in a show, explore a museum, discover unique shops, enjoy a meal and stay in comfort. Adventure, beauty, history and memories that last a lifetime.” – Visit Duluth
“Thriving art, outdoor recreation, and unique retail environment make this a top tourist destination – attracting 6.7 million annual visitors. From its top-ranked schools and universities to its thriving business community, Duluth is a fabulous place to raise a family, seek higher education, work, or journey outside.” – Duluth Chamber of Commerce
The Duluth School Board is looking for the next leader to champion their vision…Duluth Public Schools are working to inspire every student to achieve their potential and preparing students to lead productive, fulfilling lives as citizens of Duluth and the wider world.
The majority of ISD 709 teachers hold a Master’s degree and have more than 10 years’ experience which is considerably higher than most area schools. In 2018, Duluth Public Schools affirmed its commitment for an Education Equity Framework and to its implementation. The District serves over 8,500 students and offers a full complement of programming including, but not limited to:
- 4-Star, Parent Aware Rated Preschool
- Nine Elementary Schools (PreK-Grade 5)
- Two Middle Schools (Grades 6-8)
- Two High Schools (Grades 9-12)
- A fast-growing online high school
- Area Learning Center
- Missabekong Ojibwe Language and Nueva Vision Spanish Language Immersion Programs
- College in the Schools and PSEO: students earn college credit while attending high school.
- Career and Technical Education: students to enhance core academic work while acquiring real world skills and exploring careers in growing, well-paying fields.
- Three Full-Service Community Schools: helping improve educational outcomes by connecting children and families with academic, social, health services and other supports.
- ESquared: Extension and Enrichment Services (Gifted & Talented)
- Educational services to local hospitals and residential/day treatment facilities
- Community Education, providing educational opportunities and enrichment for all ages.
Duluth’s schools are an integral part of the community – hundreds of community groups make use of indoor and outdoor facilities for meetings and events each year.
Interested candidates should complete the online application process at bwpassociates.com by February 14, 2020. The application requires:
- A completed online Applicant Data Form
- A letter of application indicating qualifications and reasons for interest in the position
- A current resume
- A brief description of major professional accomplishments
- College/University transcripts
- Four to six letters of recommendation
- Evidence of eligibility to serve as a Superintendent in Minnesota
Application materials will be treated confidentially. Applicants should not contact members of the Board of Education.
A regionally competitive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. The final selection and appointment is the sole responsibility of the Board of Education.
For additional information, please contact one of the BWP search consultants:
Dr. Kathleen Williams 630.795.9994
Dr. Nicholas D. Wahl 630.965.3367
BWP and Associates, Ltd.
872 South Milwaukee Avenue, #221
Libertyville, IL 60048
An equal opportunity employer