Roanoke City Public Schools
Apply to www.macnjake.com
The Roanoke City Public Schools, Roanoke, Virginia School Board, is seeking a highly qualified and fully certified Superintendent. The Board wishes to have the successful candidate assume the responsibilities of the position on or before July 1, 2020.
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C., Executive Recruitment and Development has been engaged as the consultant in a search for outstanding candidates. They will assist the School Board in identifying and screening the candidates.
Location: 90 miles west of Richmond
The candidate must have the background, skills, and abilities essential for excellence in educational leadership. The board recognizes that selecting a superintendent is one of the most important decisions it will make. The Board developed the following desired characteristics.
- A strong, scholarly instructional leader who has demonstrated success in an urban school district using research-based programs and best practices in all academic areas, and in supporting positive student behavior;
- A visionary and strategic fiscal manager who will strongly advocate for the resources needed for the district to ensure resources are aligned with and support effective educational programs and student achievement;
- A clear and strong communicator committed to transparency with external and internal stakeholders;
- An optimistic, growth-focused leader committed to excellence in the areas of academics, athletics, the fine arts, co-curricular offerings, and instructional technology while fostering educational equity for all students;
- A leader who establishes a high performing culture, builds leadership teams that are respectful and collaborative, and understands the importance of professional development of division employees;
- An educational leader with demonstrated experience strengthening partnerships with civic and cultural groups/organizations and local, regional and state politicians through effective engagement strategies.
- The successful candidate shall have evidence of continuing advanced studies,
- with a doctorate preferred, and
- be listed on the “Eligible List of Division Superintendents” approved by the Virginia Board of Education or possess the necessary qualifications for certification as a superintendent in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- The individual should have successful experience as a school superintendent or assistant superintendent in an urban district with similar demographics.
- Additional experience as a director, principal and/or classroom teacher is preferred.
- Finally, the candidate should have knowledge of ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015), the Virginia Standards of Learning to include accreditation requirements, and the Virginia graduation requirements.
- Closing date for applications: March 19, 2020 (11:30 p.m. central time)
- School Board selects semi-finalists to interview: April 21, 2020
- Semi-Finalists Interviews with the School Board: April 28-30, 2020
- Finalists Interviews with the School Board: May 5-7, 2020
- Selection of new Superintendent: By May 8, 2020
- Start date: on or before July 1, 2020
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C.
11725 Arbor St., Suite 220
Omaha, NE 68144
School Website: http://rcps.info
Consultants: Dr. Barry Carroll email@example.com
Dr. Ralph Ferrie, Jr. firstname.lastname@example.org
Roanoke City Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The district does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability and, when needed, will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Anyone requesting a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruitment process please contact McPherson & Jacobson at the address/phone/email above.