POSTING NUMBER: C61-2021
POSTING DATE: January 23, 2020
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
POSITION: Principal, Thomas J. McDonough Middle School (Grades 6-8)
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools/Deputy Superintendent/Chief of Schools/Executive Director of School Leadership
POSITION SUMMARY: Hartford Public Schools is seeking a leader with a passion for educating children, a commitment to closing achievement gaps, and an ability to maximize learning for all students. Hartford Public Schools invites applications from knowledgeable and innovative professionals who are experienced in urban education and understand the range of academic, social, and emotional needs of students. Ideal candidates will have a proven track record in providing strong instructional leadership focused on student centered learning. Successful applicants will also have demonstrated experience managing talent, overseeing organizational systems, and engaging families and community partners for equity and excellence.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS/ABILITIES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
• Extensive instructional experience in urban/multi-cultural settings and cultural responsiveness
• Knowledge of and experience with the opportunities and needs of neighborhood schools
• Strong and collaborative leadership with an honest, transparent, and inclusive style that supports high student outcomes and educational excellence
• Demonstrated knowledge and effective use of technology in instruction, management, and communication
• Record of success leading and motivating adults (as a director, chair, coach, or administrator) and students
• Knowledge of pedagogy for development of curriculum and assessment that supports student learning
• Persistent use of data and researched-based focus on student achievement
• Demonstrated equitable leadership practices that impacted instruction, culture, and climate
• Knowledge of all federal and state mandates and regulations (IDEA, 504, Title IX, SRBI, etc.)
• Demonstrated skill in diverse staff recruitment, development, supervision, evaluation, and retention
• Ability to develop the professional capacity and practice of school personnel to promote student achievement
• Outstanding and visible communication skills with the ability to foster strong relationships with all members of the school community (students, teachers, families) and community at large to advance the school’s mission and vision
• Demonstrated experience building partnerships and resources for a school and a willingness to work with various community partners
• Unwavering commitment to high academic achievement, social-emotional, and whole child development of all students
• Experience with multiple approaches to address behaviors and instructional practices that empower students, such as restorative practices, student centered learning, etc.
• Knowledge of financial management and ability to manage school operations and resources to promote each student’s academic success and well-being
• Ability to inspire excellence in others and hold staff accountable for student growth, academic results, performance, and culturally responsive practices
• Five (5) years of successful teaching experience
• One (1) year of successful experience as an assistant principal
• One (1) year of successful experience as a building principal, preferred
CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Connecticut certification in Intermediate Administration and Supervision (092)
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is in accordance with the Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association’s 2020-2021 Schedule for twelve-month positions:
• K-8 Principal, Salary Range of $126,748 to $144,286
NOTE: The above description covers the principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The description should not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all duties or as a contract. In all cases, these relationships, functions, and their applications are subject to change by the Superintendent of Schools.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: The screening process for highly qualified candidates is immediate, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Hartford Public Schools’ online application, which includes the Educator’s Professional Inventory (EPI) assessment. All candidates must upload requested documents, including: cover letter, current resume, and three (3) letters of professional reference that were prepared within the last three years. For internal candidates, one of the three letters of reference is required to be from the applicant’s current principal and/or executive director of school leadership. To apply, please visit http://www.applitrack.com/hartfordschools/onlineapp and follow the appropriate link. Additional inquiries may be directed to Nancy Williams, Senior Talent Recruiter, at email@example.com.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D