Job Title: Principal – High School
Pay Grade: A160
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director – Secondary Learning
This position is responsible for providing support to the instructional process with specific responsibility for directing overall site operations, services, and staff at a high school; providing information and serving as a resource to others; enforcing established policies and regulatory requirements; coordinating school activities and addressing issues, situations and/or problems that arise on campus or with enrolled students. Serves as a member of the leadership team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Promotes a positive culture for the school site of responsibility. Sets the expectations for students and all building staff under their charge.
- Ensures effective design and delivery of student instructional programs.
- Ensures professional learning opportunities are available and delivered to promote continued learning and growing for educators.
- Serves as the instructional leader providing support and guidance as requested based on their knowledge and experience.
- Supervises instructional personnel monitoring performance, providing for professional growth and achieving overall objectives.
- Increases personal knowledge, skills, and abilities and ensures implementation of best practices.
- Ensures compliance of all state statutes, board of education policies, administrative practices and procedures, and employee handbook.
- Manages the school site and organizational systems by ensuring the proper structure is in place, leading educators and staff to effectively and efficiently manage resources and support their performance success.
- Conducts meetings as needed coordinating activities, ensuring achievement of school, district and/or state objectives.
- Responsible to ensure staff and educators are following proper ethical standards and performing their responsibilities with integrity; holds those who fall short accountable.
- Delegates administrative function responsibilities to Assistant Principals and other personnel to manage the workload efficiently and grow leadership capacity.
- Develops a variety of reports providing guidance for curriculum, instruction, assessment, and student achievement; makes recommendations to administrative personnel.
- Evaluates assigned personnel ensuring achievement of standards and maximized performance.
- Facilitates communication between personnel, students, parents and community members evaluating situations, solving problems, and/or resolving conflicts.
- Implements policies, procedures, and/or processes maintaining safe and efficient school operations within district guidelines.
- Monitors programs establishing an effective learning climate.
- Prepares a variety of materials documenting activities, providing reference and/or conveying information.
- Represents the school within community forums maintaining ongoing community support for educational goals and/or assisting with issues related to school government.
- Responds to inquiries for a variety of internal and external stakeholders identifying the relevant issues and recommending or implementing a remediation plan.
- Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in job-related area from an accredited college or university, required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required. Leadership experience with increasing levels of responsibility is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and Other Special Requirements
- Missouri Administrative Certificate 9-12, required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain “Highly Qualified” status as defined by Missouri’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, required.
- Must pass a Criminal Background Clearance, the results of which must be satisfactory to the District, required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues, draw conclusions and create action plans.
- Knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; conflict resolution; bookkeeping principles, and concepts of management and supervision
- Skill to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to routinely upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Skill based competencies required to perform the functions of the job, including planning and managing projects; using pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and administering personnel policies.
- Ability to read technical information and compose a variety of documents.
- Ability to work with others under a wide variety of circumstances; working with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods.
- Ability to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to apply critical thinking/problem solving to improve work processes.
- Ability to adhere to safety practices; meet deadlines and schedules; work under time constraints; and communicate with diverse groups.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work environment is primarily inside, where the noise and temperature levels are moderate.
- The work is light work that requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects..
- Must possess the physical ability to perceive the nature of sounds, make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes, express or exchange ideas by the spoken word, substantial movements (motions) with the hands, wrists, and/or fingers, and discern letters or numbers at a given distance.
- Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, manual dexterity, mental acuity, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.