Job Title: Principal – Truman Elementary School
Pay Grade: A131
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director- Elementary
This position is responsible for leading the instructional process with specific responsibility for directing overall site operations, services, and staff at an elementary school with a primary focus on improving student achievement, including enforcing established policies and regulatory requirements; coordinating school activities, and managing student and site learning and behavioral issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides instructional leadership focused on current research and best practices in order to continually increase student achievement.
- Oversees all aspects of the instructional program, school environment and the operational/fiscal health of the school.
- Supervises, monitors, and coaches staff in the building with a focus on growth and continuous improvement.
- Oversees the professional development of teachers and staff, including regular supervision and evaluations.
- Fosters an environment where staff work cooperatively together and hold each other accountable to reach high levels of student achievement.
- Fosters an environment where students and staff from diverse backgrounds are welcomed and supported.
- Manages organizational systems and resources for a safe, high-performing learning environment.
- Collaborates with families and stakeholders who represent diverse community interests and needs; mobilizes community resources that support and improve teaching and learning.
- Allocates and coordinates the movement of resources to ensure the health, safety, and productive learning of staff and students.
- Collaborates with other elementary, secondary and district administrators to provide an overall direction for teaching and learning in the school district.
- Effectively manages school operations in terms of personnel, budgets, buildings and grounds, etc.
- Promotes a positive tone for collaborative school/community relations by articulating the mission, seeking community support, encouraging diversity and fostering rapport with all stakeholders.
- Confers with parents and staff to discuss educational activities, policies and student behavioral or learning issues.
- Facilitates and oversees committee meetings as required.
- Coordinates and supervises after-school events, activities, conferences and meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three (3) years of job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
Certificates, Licenses and Other Special Requirements
- Missouri School Administrator Certificate, required
- Criminal Background Clearance satisfactory to the District, required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include elementary curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices; child development, brain development and best practices in education; curriculum development; safety practices and procedures; conflict resolution; and crisis de-escalation techniques.
- Skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include effective hiring techniques; budget management.
- Ability to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings and/or events; routinely gather, collate and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment.
- Ability is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing a variety of complex processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods.
- Ability to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment.
- Ability to analyze issues and create action plans.
- Ability to problem solve with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; set priorities; meet deadlines and schedules; work with detailed information; and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work as part of a team; adapt to changing priorities; and apply logical processes and analytical skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work environment is primarily inside, where the noise and temperature levels are moderate.
- The work is light work that requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
- Must possess the physical ability to perceive the nature of sounds, make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes, express or exchange ideas by the spoken word, substantial movements (motions) with the hands, wrists, and/or fingers, and discern letters or numbers at a given distance.
- Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, manual dexterity, mental acuity, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity and walking.