40632 LIAISON, BOARD OF EDUCATION
Traditional 235 work days
Salary Range: $55,174- $66,905
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Provide direct executive assistance to the Board President and Board of Education members. Manage the Board of Education Office, assist with escalated parental/community concerns and administers related office budgets. Plan and prepare a variety of reports, research, financial analysis and other data for the Board of Education. This position reports to the Board of Education. The Board President will facilitate the relationship.
- Work closely with Board President and Superintendent / Chief of Staff in preparing Board meeting agendas and accompanying documents. Work closely with district departments to ensure timely submission of contracts / documents scheduled for action by the Board. Work closely with Department of Purchasing and Legal Department to this end. Prepare and organize contracts / documents for Board signature following Board action.
- Carefully tracks the Board budget; responsible for ensuring board policy compliance. Works with appropriate district staff to prepare and submit monthly Board budget reports to the Board President and Treasurer.
- Effectively and efficiently maintains the Board agenda and minutes via BoardDocs. Work with staff to draft and update the agendas. Compile and maintain copies of materials related to agenda items. Use Meeting Control Panel to record votes. Update materials as needed.
- Receives, examines, and ensures for the completeness and accuracy of all documentation to be distributed or received by the Board of Education. Acts to consistently ensure for the accuracy, confidentiality and security of all data, records, information, materials, etc.
- Provides information to the Board for effective performance of their duties. Organizes, monitors, tracks, evaluates, compiles, and prepares complex internal and external documents and internal policies or official documentation. Collects and compiles a variety of data for specific analysis, data base preparation, research and maintenance, and reporting, as directed. Facilitates the flow of information between the Board and the Superintendent offices. Anticipates the Boards’ needs by gathering records, reports, correspondence, statistics or other specific types of information.
- Preparation of Gift, Donation, and Grant report to Board for inclusion on the Board agenda and Board action.
- Attend all Board meetings and facilitate procedure of meeting via assisting Board President and Superintendent, manage Agenda during meeting, administering rules of order, taking and managing Board member votes, and general expertise on Board meeting management to assist Board President.
- Synthesize submittals from the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendents using BoardDocs to prepare and design Board agendas, pre-session data, information time lines and presentations to the Board President. Invites student presentations at monthly board meetings.
- Maintain Public Comment Agenda, sign up of members of the public, and facilitate Public Comment Sessions via attendance and management of comment time and procedure. Work closely with appropriate district staff and Board President to proactively address public comment topics in advance of Public Comment Session.
- Maintain, research, edit and track Board Policies and required time lines for approval of new or amended policies. Work closely with General Counsel’s Office in maintaining and updating Board Policies as may be required by statute or at direction of Board. Work closely with CASB on standardized policy and recommended updates.
- Coordinate arrangements to facilitate Board responsibilities pertaining to student appeal hearings, such as expulsion proceedings. Coordinate with district staff as required.
- Coordinate arrangements, including agenda, to facilitate Board responsibilities pertaining to employee appeal hearings related to grievances / arbitrations. Coordinate with district staff as required.
- Coordinate arrangements, including agenda, to facilitate Board responsibilities and action pertaining to teacher dismissal cases, including executive session conferences with legal counsel.
- Work closely with Board Audio & Visual production to insure broadcast of Board meetings, and public comment. Assignment and directing custodial duties related to boardroom and auxiliary boardroom maintenance, coordination of setup, deliveries, supplies, sound checks and equipment repairs.
- Track, monitor and advise on statutory obligations pertaining to elected officials gift reporting and prepare and submit said documentation.
- Administrative Support: Manages the operations for all Board functions including meeting preparation, preparation of agendas, the coordination of materials, notice meetings, and recording of meetings.
- Manages the Board Office – Management of budget and official records. Ensures compliance with Board Policy. Coordinate/maintains schedules for board members. Keeps Board members up to date on District related events.
- Negotiates with vendors for services rendered to Board, including equipment, electronic agenda, catering and personal services.
- Handles day-to-day correspondence and communication on behalf of Board Office.
- Oversees the timely revision and compliance with state law of the Board’s governing documents.
- As a representative of the Board of Education, maintains a professional and courteous demeanor to members of the Board, the Superintendent, Administrative staff, educational entities, administrators, teachers, parents and all members of the public.
- Facilitates the flow of information between and among the Board and Administrative Staff.
- Serves as the Board’s liaison to professional organizations, governmental agencies, and policy-making groups.
- Serves as advocate and information officer for the Board, to build interest and support for its actions and policies and to strengthen the Board’s image.
- Maintain and track individual Board members’ membership in national and local organizations related to the district, public education, and membership as a publically elected Board member.
- Biennial: Work closely with General Counsel to coordinate election time lines and act as district liaison with Election Commission / County Clerk by communicating with General Counsel, Election Commission, attending county election meetings, monitoring MOU between district and Election Commission. Coordinate with Denver District Court / Judicial on administering Oaths of Office, Certificates of Appointments and Certificates of Election to the state and counties. Coordinate and facilitate Board elections of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer per Policy.
- Other duties that may be required to support the Board of Education.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Seven (7) or more years of administrative assistant experience preferred.
- Previous collaborative experience with Board and Cabinet members preferred.
- Advanced oral and written communication, and report preparation and presentation skills.
- Possess strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, time management, problem solving and multi-tasking skills.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting, budgeting systems and strong math aptitude.
- Advanced experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Spanish proficiency preferred.
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License, appropriate insurance coverage and acceptable driving record for the past three years.
- Ability to champion the vision of DPS, educational advancement of its students, the Denver Plan and the District’s strategic goals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent direction, DPS policies and department procedures.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people, including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds. Willingness to contribute to cultural diversity for educational enrichment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred.
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
Under the leadership of Superintendent Susana Cordova and guided by the tenets of The Denver Plan, DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.