Elementary School Principal
Elementary School Principal
Cambridge, Massachusetts is a dynamic, diverse urban city with a strong commitment to investing in our public schools. Rich in racial, ethnic, cultural, linguistic and socio-economic diversity, the Cambridge Public Schools are committed to academic excellence and social justice, and providing rigorous, joyful and culturally responsive instruction to all students.
With 280 students Gr. JK-5, Fletcher Maynard Academy is a welcoming community with a global perspective. The school’s extended learning time provides increased opportunity for academic engagement and special enrichment programs. All students study Spanish and take performance-based Kodaly music classes four days a week. The diversity of the students learning needs is embraced with a tiered system of supports for both academic and social learning. FMA’s innovative programming includes the Scholar College pre-school program and Qualls Academy, a mentorship program for boys in grades 3-5. The school celebrates the diversity of its students and families through weekly whole school community meetings, multiple cultural events, and an annual opportunity for students to travel abroad. The school’s administrative leadership team includes an Assistant Principal and a Family Liaison.
We are seeking an accomplished Principal who demonstrates vision, strength and compassion in their leadership, has high academic expectations, is committed to equity and inclusion, and values the concept of school as a place of community, partnership, and relationship.
The Fletcher Maynard Academy Principal reports to the Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education, and is responsible for providing high caliber education leadership of the school, ensuring the safety and well-being of students, building strong family partnerships, selecting, hiring, supervising and evaluating staff in accordance with district policies, preparing and administering the school budget, and overseeing the school building and its operations and activities. The Principal is a member of the district’s Elementary School Leadership Team and CPS’s Administrative Council.
Other responsibilities include:
- Develop a culture of high academic standards and excellence in teaching and learning.
- Ensure the smooth daily operations of the school.
- Lead the development and implementation of the school improvement plan.
- Support teachers, staff and students in engaging in the teaching and learning process.
- Maintain effective communication with parents/caregivers.
- Implement structures to advance professional learning for teachers and other staff members.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, central office and others.
- Develop effective community, civic, business, and university partnerships.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Your Skill Set:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with graduate level courses in school administration and educational leadership.
- Previous experience as a school administrator and previous classroom teacher experience, preferably in an urban, diverse setting (minimum of five years).
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in staff supervision and evaluation and in budget development and administration.
- Knowledge of early childhood/developmental learning and growth, behavioral response and best SEL practices.
- Ability to provide inclusive and effective educational leadership of general and special education instructional programs.
- Fluency in another language in addition to English preferred.
- Massachusetts DESE licensure or eligibility for licensure: Principal K-5.
Base salary: $135,300 – $148,608, plus extended learning time stipend of $18,277.
Work Year: 210 days
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter HERE, outlining how your skills, experience, and commitment to equity in education meet the qualifications of the position as well as stating how you heard about this opportunity.
Applications Requested by: March 2, 2020.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.