DIRECTOR OF TALENT
Start Date: Immediate
Role Type: Full Time
Location: Flexible — (Domestic Travel when safe to do so)
Who We Are:
Transcend supports communities to create and spread extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
We fulfill this mission by focusing on two key priorities:
- Supporting more communities to have far better designs: To scale up their work supporting design journeys of communities, so that more places are more successfully designing, building, and spreading extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
- Making systemic change that enables innovation: To engage key actors in the field to create broader ecosystem conditions that positively impact communities on design journeys, by growing actors’ proximity to insights, voices, and evidence from work with communities and by learning from their perspectives and experiences.
Come build the team that is transforming education in America! Just as our mission aspires to build extraordinary, equitable learning environments for students — we strive to build the most extraordinary, equitable team and organization to realize this mission. Our work is powered by
our phenomenal people. We are currently a diverse and mighty team of ~40 teammates, working virtually throughout the US, with plans to grow so that we can reach many more communities.
As the first Director of Talent on our team, you will lead and implement our recruiting efforts, strengthen our teammate onboarding, and play a critical role in a range of activities to help support, grow, and develop a diverse, inclusive, and world-class team. This role reports to Emily Rummo, who functions as the organization’s COO.
Who You Are:
People person — that’s who! You are on the phone a lot (a lot!) and energized by cultivating great talent and matching them to organizational needs and roles. Your LinkedIn network is vast — and hopping! — and you delight in the prospect of searching for the just right person to fill a role. When you’re not out networking, you are behind the scenes masterminding a structured process to ensure candidates are vetted fairly and fully, the candidate experience is smooth, and we’re capturing data to help us continuously improve. When you’re not in recruitment mode, you are contributing to a variety of “HR” functions, like creating values-aligned policies for our team,
supporting team-wide professional development, and helping to build Transcend as a diverse, inclusive, and flourishing culture for all.
Knowing that your work supports a range of people and needs, you excel in managing your time: balancing competing demands and communicating actively with others who rely on you. You openly share your goals and ask for help when you need it; so work can be well coordinated especially in a virtual environment. The idea of working at a small and growing start-up excites you — you are comfortable with ambiguity, flexibly adjust to changing needs, and readily roll-up your sleeves to do what it takes.
And, you love that your everyday work is in service to a mission that matters! You believe deeply in the power of education to change lives, and can’t wait to contribute your love of all things Talent to this cause.
Key Skills, Interests, and Knowledge:
- Deeply committed to Transcend’s mission of building and spreading equitable, extraordinary learning environments.
- Successful Track-Record of Recruiting Diverse, Top-notch Talent. You bring your vast and growing network and deep expertise in effective talent recruitment for fast-paced, growing organizations; ideally in the field of K-12.
- Strong Project Management Skills: able to gather and organize multiple candidates and opportunities, utilizing effective systems to manage recruitment. (Transcend currently uses Greenhouse as it’s recruitment database/tool).
- Proactive Self-Starter: who has a track record of effectively and independently managing time and workflow across competing priorities to achieve results, and navigating through ambiguity.
- Proactive communicator who coordinates with others to advance the work. ● Empathy + Influence: Ability to work with a range of personalities and galvanize a team to take action. Successfully builds trusting relationships.
- Desire to continuously learn and grow — especially as it relates to all things People and Talent. You seek out feedback and approach your work with an eagerness to learn.
- Willing to travel, when it is safe to do so, up to 2-3 times/month to recruit and cultivate talent and collaborate with your Transcend teammates.
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer. We are building a diverse team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.