Director of Special Education
- Position Type: Administration/Director
- Date Posted: 5/13/2020
- Location: LaVergne Education Center
- Date Available: 07/01/2020
- Closing Date: Until Filled
Berwyn South School District 100 seeks a dynamic and visionary leader to serve as Director of Special Education.
Berwyn South School District 100 believes that “schools are people”, and our schools are as good as our staff. Our 8 neighborhood schools are the pride of our families for their children aged preschool to 8th grades. Berwyn is located 15 miles west of the city of Chicago and is just minutes away by car or public transportation. On a clear day, the Chicago skyscrapers can be seen from the streets of Berwyn.
1. Assist with the development, implementation, and monitoring of District 100’s special education procedures and programs consistent with federal and state statutes.
2. Coordinate program development by ensuring proper in-district and out-of-district placements; assess the advisability and feasibility of developing district-based programs for special education children presently attending out of district classes.
3. Assists building administrators in the responsibilities associated with the implementation of special education programs within their buildings.
4. Provides feedback into the evaluation of teachers and evaluates related personnel as necessary.
5. Provides and secures technical assistance and staff development for social workers, speech- language pathologists, nurses, occupational therapists, and physical therapists in the area of service delivery to students.
6. Coordinates the referral process by ensuring proper service delivery, keeping records on caseloads/minutes for related services, ensuring that caseload numbers are in compliance, and ensuring provisions of the IEP are met.
7. Train coordinators to ensure parent awareness and involvement by providing parents with a copy of Parent’s Rights and encourage their participation in the special education process, and schedule and coordinate Annual Reviews and Re-Evaluations for all special education students.
8. Complete and submit all state and federal reports pertaining to special education students and services.
9. Assure proper curriculum and materials are provided for Special Education programs.
10. Develops Special Education Extended School Year programs and services.
11. Supervises and monitors home/hospital IEPs, placements, and tutoring with the Assistant Superintendent.
12. Supervises the preparation of contracts for each student placed in a private facility.
13. Coordinate Child-Find activities along with the Director of Preschool.
14. Supervise related personnel (psychologists, nurses, OT/PT, etc.).
15. Coordinate transportation for special education students with the Director of Transportation.
16. Coordinates the delivery of specialized services, including private and parochial school services.
17. Coordinates a Special Education Advisory committee for the District.
18. Performs other duties and assumes responsibilities as may be assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
- Illinois Professional Educator License with general administrative endorsement
- Approved Special Education Director Endorsement
- Minimum of five years of experience in school and/or district level special education
- Teacher and Administrator Evaluator Certified
To apply: Please visit https://www.applitrack.com/schooldistrict100/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Administration.