DATA MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
Start Date: Immediate
Role Type: Full Time
Location: Flexible – (Domestic Travel when safe to do so)
Who We Are:
Transcend supports communities to create and spread extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
We serve as an “R&D Engine” for the field of education and fulfill this mission through two key priorities:
- Supporting communities everywhere to create far better school designs: We support communities’ design journeys, so that more places are more successfully designing, building, and spreading extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
- Making systemic change that enables innovation: We engage key actors in the field by growing their proximity to insights, voices, and evidence from our work with communities, so these actors create broader ecosystem conditions that positively impact communities on design journeys.
Come help us invent the future of educational data and measurement! Our work with hundreds of communities across the country is generating invaluable evidence about the design, implementation, and impact of innovative school models. As a Data Management Fellow, you will help build the infrastructure of our Learning Hub – an integrated system for gathering, storing, and reporting that evidence. Your work will fuel our ability to get smarter and more effective as we grow, accelerating our positive impact on communities, educators and learners across the country. It will also unlock insights that we can promote through our thought leadership on ecosystems that support equitable, liberatory school models.
We believe that assessment and data practices have historically played a role in maintaining inequitable and oppressive systems. This is an opportunity to invent a new future for educational measurement that centers equity and liberation while also prioritizing rigor.
The role reports to David Nitkin, and will work closely with Youssef Shoukry, who manages the comprehensive implementation of our data systems.
Who You Are
You are a builder, a designer, a technologist, and a collaborator who is fired up to build something new that’s going to change the world. You have a deep understanding and love for data architecture and data management, and are energized by building the “plumbing” that connects systems and makes them run. You are highly-user centered, and know how to build with the end user in mind while playing a “behind the scenes” role to build an architecture that most users never see directly. You have an incredibly high bar for excellence, and sweat the details to create a smooth, effortless, and aesthetically pleasing experience for users who will be interacting with what you build.
Knowing that your work is going to be one essential part of a larger suite of interlocking systems, you are the consummate team player, and you know how to plan your work to align with and accelerate our overall data strategy. You’re also a creative thinker and strong collaborator who spots smart ways to make our strategy even better. The idea of working at a small and growing start-up excites you — you are comfortable with ambiguity, flexibly adjust to changing needs, and readily roll-up your sleeves to do what it takes.
You believe deeply in the power of education – and educational data systems – to change lives, elevate marginalized voices, and heal the world. You cannot wait to help invent the future!
Key Skills, Interests, and Knowledge
- Deeply committed to Transcend’s mission of building and spreading equitable, extraordinary learning environments
- Passionate about Transcend’s Core Values and DEI commitments, and excited to help chart their specific applications within our approach to data and measurement
- Experience creating and managing data architectures that integrate information from multiple sources using APIs, ELT processes, and other methods (experience building integrations across Qualtrics, Salesforce, Slack, GSuite, Mailchimp, and/or BigQuery preferred)
- Experience designing and maintaining user-friendly, engaging, and aesthetically pleasing data dashboards (experience with Microsoft Power BI preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience working with K-12 educational data preferred ● Excellent communicator, collaborator, and coordinator, with strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Excited about working in a lively, rapidly-changing environment with a diverse team that often collaborates fluidly across projects
- Highly motivated, flexible, and hands-on self-starter with positive energy, a drive for continuous learning and growth, a commitment to partnering with others on shared goals, and an ability to work entrepreneurially to identify and solve problems
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer. We are building a diverse team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.