|Durham Public Schools||Office of Human Resource Services|
|Job Description||Assistant Superintendent of HR|
JOB TITLE: Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
SALARY: Based on State and Local Salary Schedules
STATUS: Permanent, 12 months, Classified, Exempt
The Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources provides leadership and performs highly responsible personnel administration work to carry out school system policies and procedures relating to recruitment and staffing, salary administration, employee relations, licensure, benefits, allotment planning, and site-based budget coordination. Work involves providing oversight for these functions and ensuring that various HR reports and data requests such as the board reports, Department of Labor Compensation Survey, and SS 200-300/EE0-5 are completed as mandated by the BOE, the superintendent, and/or state and federal agencies. Work further involves providing operational, administrative and technical leadership in overseeing the employment of licensed
and non-licensed personnel for all schools and administrative departments. Position supervises and provides guidance and direction for the HR staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Work further involves overseeing the organization, supervision and evaluation of Office of Human Resource Services.
- Provide leadership and oversight for complex personnel administration work to carry out school system policies and procedures relating to staffing, talent identification/development, salary administration, allotment planning, and site-based budget coordination.
- Provide operational, administrative, and technical leadership and support in overseeing the employment of licensed and non-licensed personnel for all schools and administrative departments.
- Ensure that various HR reports and data requests in DPS Personnel Action, Department of Labor Compensation Survey, and SS 200-300/EE0-5 are completed as mandated by the BOE, the superintendent, and/or state and federal agencies.
- Develop, implement and maintain procedures for human resource operations.
- Communicate effectively with school administrators and staff.
- Ensure administrative, teacher and beginning teacher licensure meet state requirements.
- Ensure benefits are administered properly.
- Supervise the employee evaluation procedures of the system.
- Lead and manage overall human resource services, including recruitment, selection, hiring, retention and employee relations for licensed and support personnel.
- Supervise the maintenance of data in the Human Resource Management System (HRMS).
- Work with the superintendent on retention, dismissal and renewal of employees.
- Work with the Board of Education to develop and implement human resource policies.
- Serve as a member of the District’s Cabinet/executive leadership team.
- Perform other duties as assigned by superintendent.
Job Description – Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum of a master’s degree in educational administration or business administration or related field; understanding of human resource functions in a local administrative agency; minimum of seven-ten years’ experience in human resources/administration in a local administrative agency.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Successful experience in strategic/project planning and continuous improvement of processes.
- Must have effective skills in communicating with school and central office personnel, parents and the general public.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Capacity to manage multiple responsibilities, self-motivate and pay keen attention to detail
- Skill in establishing effective working relationships to plan, organize, and working collaboratively with various teams.
- Strong abilities in technology – HRMS, Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Project
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of personnel laws, policies and procedures
- Ability to define problems and collect and analyze data
- General knowledge of finance functions of a school system
Must be able to exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Consistent with light duty.
The following statements of the job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this category. The description does not contain an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and other requirements necessary of employees to perform in this position.