Assistant Principal (Secondary)
Dept. /School: Assigned Campus and Level
Direct and manage assigned areas of instructional program and campus operations. Oversee assigned student activities and services,
Education/Certification: Master’s degree from accredited university Texas principal or other appropriate Texas certificate Certified Texas Teacher Support and Evaluation System (T–TESS) appraiser
Special Knowledge/Skills: Knowledge of campus operations Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness Ability to manage budget and personnel Ability to implement policy and procedures Ability to interpret data Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Experience: Two years experience as a classroom teacher
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs, helping teachers pilot such efforts when appropriate.
- Participate in program evaluation measures and make suggestions for improvement where needed.
- Reinforce expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies and classroom management.
- Foster collegiality and team-building among staff members.
- Encourage their active involvement in the decision-making process.
- Take a leadership role in planning activities and implementing programs to ensure the attainment of the school’s mission.
- Participate in the development of campus improvement plans with staff, parents, and community members.
- Help principals develop, maintain, and use information systems to maintain records and track progress on-campus performance objectives and academic excellence indicators.
- May act as campus behavioral coordinator in accordance with state laws and regulations,
- Work with faculty and students to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly applied and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and the student handbook.
- Conduct conferences about student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
- Ensure that students are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
- Oversee campus operations in the principal’s absence.
- Take a leadership role in planning and scheduling daily school activities including the development of class schedules, teacher assignments, and extracurricular activity schedules.
- Oversee reporting and monitoring of student attendance and work with staff to identify and address issues.
- Work with department heads and faculty to compile annual budget requests based on documented program needs.
- Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment and monitor and maintain inventory in accordance with district procedures.
- Coordinate operational support services such as transportation, custodial, and cafeteria to best meet campus needs.
- Comply with district policies, state and federal laws, and regulations affecting schools.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences. Serve as second appraiser as needed for designated teacher appraisal system.
- Assist the principal in interviewing, selecting, and orienting new staff.
- Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs using appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Supervise and evaluate the work of professional staff as assigned by the school principal. Direct the work of teachers, custodians, paraprofessionals, clerical personnel, and others as assigned.
- Competitive salary 100% Paid Employee Insurance Matching Annuity up to 6%
- Teacher Housing