TITLE: Assistant Principal
LOCATION: Schlagle High School
The Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is a nationally recognized urban school district that serves approximately 23,000 students. With a Head Start program, three preschools, 29 elementary schools, 7 middle schools, and 5 college and career academies/high schools, the district serves a wonderfully diverse mixture of students. A remarkable 62 different languages are spoken in the homes of our students and 51% of our students are Latino and 29% are African American. To serve our students, the district employs approximately 4,000 staff, including more than 1,600 teachers.
We are in the process of opening two new elementary and one middle school. Sumner Academy is the #1 Rated High School in Kansas from the US News and World Report. The vision of the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools is to be one of the Top 10 School Districts in the Nation. Our goal is that “Each student will exit high school prepared for college and careers in a global society, and at every level, performance is on track and on time for success.” To help our students achieve this goal, the district is implementing a district-wide initiative called Diploma+.
To be an integral part of the administrative team in providing instructional leadership for
the students and staff of the school.
- Assists the principal in overall administration of the school.
- Serves as the instructional leader for a Small Learning Community.
- Enforces Board of Education Policies.
- Performs record keeping functions as assigned by the principal or as professional practice would dictate.
- Willing/Able to serve as principal in the absence of the principal.
- Performs teacher evaluations.
- Confers with parents regarding student progress or discipline.
- Assists in the supervision of extra-curricular events.
Performs other specific administrative functions as assigned by the principal such, but not limited to:
- Serve as the administrator for a small learning community;
- Assists/coaches collaborative teams;
- Assisting with creation of master schedule and student schedules;
- Supervising students;
- Assigning and supervising teachers for extra duty work or student supervision;
- Supervising student attendance;
- Preparing and maintaining school calendar;
- Supervising and communicating with transportation;
- Preparation of school newsletters;
- Planning and organizing student and parent programs;
- Effectively enforcing the rules and expectations of the school with students.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Currently hold or be eligible for a Kansas Certification, Building Administrator.
- A minimum of five years of successful experience as a middle school/high school teacher.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods of effective instruction.
- Willingness to collaborate as an integral part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to work effectively with students and parents from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to plan, organize and complete activities and/or programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively with teachers to help them improve their performance in the classroom.
- The ability to think critically, provide meaningful feedback and problem solve regarding issues in building administration.
- English as a Second Language endorsement preferred or be committed to obtaining that endorsement.
To apply: Please visit https://kckps.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.