SUPERINTENDENT LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (SLA)
To recruit and prepare Latin/o/a/x school system leaders to become superintendents of school districts in the United States with an emphasis on Latin/o/a/x- serving school districts having a population of Latin/o/a/x students 20% or higher.
A yearlong leadership academy that allows participants to learn current organizational leadership proficiency in a hybrid learning environment from superintendents who are known for their success and skilled in their practice.
The mission of the ALAS Superintendents Leadership Academy (SLA) is to improve and expand opportunities for emerging school system leaders to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to serve all children with an emphasis on marginalized students.
The ALAS Superintendents Leadership Academy (SLA) signature program addresses the need to recruit, mentor, and prepare the next generation of Latin/o/a/x Superintendents.
The ALAS SLA Program continues to be the premier leadership academy in the nation, due to its competitive and balanced cohort selection of candidates.
Please read the information below for program requirements, selection criteria, selection decisions, and program session attendance.
ALAS Superintendents Leadership Academy Application Process:
ALAS is currently accepting applications for the SLA Program Cohort X.
Download the application form and submit to ALAS via email: firstname.lastname@example.org by June 19th, 2020
Scholarships Available – For the 2020/2021 Cohort X: $500 scholarships will be provided upon acceptance to the program
ALAS seeks dedicated and aspiring Latin/o/a/x superintendents in their development of the knowledge and networking skills necessary to lead a school district. The selection process is highly competitive due to the limited number of participants as designed by the cohort model. Ideally, candidates are serving at a cabinet-level position. Consideration will be given for outstanding candidates in a principal or central office role. In addition, a candidate should have:
- Served in a leadership position for a minimum of 3 years
- A proven track record of leadership and/or management in an educational organization
- Ability to understand, lead and manage in a complex political organization and work well in a diverse setting
- High level of energy, determination, and perseverance to act as a change agent in a demanding organization
- Ability to learn quickly, possess analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work and succeed as a school system leader in a school district that serves all children with an emphasis on marginalized students
- Commitment to equity, excellence, and closing achievement gaps for all students
- Passion for improving public education and a long-term commitment to PK-12 education
- Commitment to the mission and vision of ALAS
All applications are reviewed by the ALAS SLA Selection Committee after the application window closes on May 31 of each year. The ALAS SLA Selection Committee Members have a strong understanding of the skills needed to succeed as a superintendent. Candidates selected to move forward in the application process will be notified of an interview to take place in July, notification on acceptance to the program will be made immediately to the candidates following the interviews.
Participants are required to attend program sessions held monthly (except for December and March) beginning in July and ending in May of the following year. The program is comprised of eight hybrid sessions covering various content strands. Participants are provided required readings, assignments, and activities as part of each session.
- All Superintendents Leadership Academy participants must be members of ALAS.
- All SLA participants will pledge to attend all sessions of the ALAS SLA including the ALAS Education Summit.
- ALAS Superintendent Leadership Academy participants will be required to pay a $2,000 registration fee.
- ALAS will cover most meals while at the SLA sessions.
- SLA participants are required to self pay lodging and airfare to attend SLA sessions.
- ALAS reserves the right to make necessary adjustments to these program requirements as circumstance may change from time to time.
NOTE: Participants will be dismissed and not be allowed to complete the program if they miss more than one session; if they are not ready to fully participate in this high level leadership program; or if they are not committed to the ideals of ALAS by violating the Code of Conduct.