The Academy of Urban Learning
Seeking a talented, passionate School and Instructional Leader!
The Academy of Urban Learning (AUL), a 501(c)3 Denver Public Schools Alternative Education charter high school, is seeking a strong and passionate instructional leader to become its next Principal. This position will serve all traditional high school principal functions, including those assigned to an Executive Director of a non-profit organization. The Principal will carry out the school’s strategic plan in an effort to meet the school’s vision, mission, and charter requirements. Additionally, the Principal will ensure Project-Based Learning (PBL) is central to all teaching and learning at AUL, including curriculum development and the professional development of about 17 staff members. The Principal will continue to foster a school culture that is inclusive and supportive of AUL’s students and community.
Our mission is to provide a comprehensive and quality high school education for students who come from uncertain living conditions. At AUL we strive to provide a comprehensive education which includes the academic, social, cultural and other life skills to empower our students to be self-sufficient adults. We offer supportive services to address short- and long-term housing instability and contributing risk factors, and we foster a caring and respectful community of families, students, staff, board, and community partners to support our students. As a small Alternative Education high school (approximately 120 students) we serve students ages 14 to 21 who have experienced various barriers to achieving success at their former schools. AUL is a school that C.A.R.E.S. about each student and strives to build relationships that encompass our CORE values of Community, Academics, Respect, Empowerment, and Service. AUL takes a student centered, “whole person” approach and provides the wrap-around services and individualized support students need to succeed academically and socially, and to become successful, self-sufficient adults.
WHAT AUL CAN PROVIDE
If you desire the flexibility to develop curricula that is challenging, yet meaningful to students, and doesn’t fall within the normal box of public education, then AUL is the place for you. As the Principal of AUL, you will ensure AUL’s Project Based Learning approach keeps students engaged in the learning process. AUL offers a shortened work schedule, holding classes Monday – Thursday and an annual work schedule of roughly 168 days between the months of August and July. AUL also offers traditional benefits, such as medical (Kaiser) and dental (Delta) plans, as well as pension and other retirement options through PERA (visit copera.org). Compensation for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and will be paid on a 12-month continuum.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
The Principal will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of AUL, including leading teaching and learning using Project Based Learning. Additionally, the Principal will be responsible for budget management and oversight; management of staff (hiring, professional development, evaluations, discipline, termination, etc.); district and state communication and compliance; and ensuring adequate measurable growth in student achievement. The Principal is the bridge between the Board of Directors and AUL staff and is responsible for implementing the AUL Board of Directors strategic vision. For further details on the responsibilities of this position, please see the full job description.
QUALIFICATIONS AUL IS LOOKING FOR IN ITS NEXT LEADER:
• Four-year college degree;
• Certified and licensed as an approved school principal or in the process of working toward certification/licensure;
• Demonstrated leadership in a high school setting with at least 2 years of administrative and/or leadership experience;
• Significant experience with Project-Based Learning;
• Experience working with at-risk youth and students from diverse backgrounds with unique academic and personal needs;
• Demonstrated expertise and excellence in oral and written communication, public speaking, budget management, conflict resolution, training, curriculum development, supervision and negotiation;
• Possess and demonstrate high moral character and be passionate as a school leader;
• Believe and demonstrate the value of a strong culture and community;
• Value others’ cultures, diversity and inclusivity;
• Ability to work all hours reasonably necessary to operate the school, including but not limited to evening and summer hours, and special duties assigned by the Board of Directors. Contract is August 1 to July 31 (Appx. 168 work days with 36 weeks of student contact, 3 weeks before students return, 3 weeks of summer school);
• Ability to meet critical and/or unexpected needs at any time as determined by the Board of Directors.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• MA in Education, Educational Administration/Leadership
• 5+ years educational leadership experience
• Experience leading Project-Based Learning curricula development/implementation
• Bilingual (Spanish)
• Special Education Endorsement
• Experience working with a governing board of directors and in charter schools.
AUL provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AUL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
AUL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AUL employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please visit https://academy-of-urban-learning.breezy.hr/ and provide us with your resume/CV, salary history and expectations and references. Please direct any inquires or questions to HR Advantage Group, to avoid any disruption to AUL.