Founding Managing Director- Leading Educators- Grand Rapids, Michigan
Leading Educators is a national nonprofit deeply committed to ensuring students from low-income background receive an excellent education. We partner with schools and districts to help highly effective teachers develop the leadership skills they need to successfully transition from leading students to leading their peers. We help districts identify their best teachers, and then provide intensive job-embedded coaching, relevant professional development, and powerful cohort-based learning experiences. Our goal is to extend the reach and impact of these highly effective teachers, transforming schools and dramatically improving student outcomes. Further details about our organizational impact can be found at the end of the job description.
The Founding Managing Director ensures that teacher leadership programmatic offerings achieve high-impact objectives for school system leaders, principals, teacher leaders, teachers, and students. This position builds partnerships with the local community, school districts, charter school management organizations and targeted schools to craft programming that directly addresses high-priority needs.
Joining an ambitious organization at a critical growth stage in its national expansion, the Founding Managing Director will shape systems, cultivate a dynamic and dedicated team, and build a foundation for program growth and sustainability locally while also contributing to national and cross-functional projects. This will enable the Founding Managing Director to contribute to Leading Educators' national work while learning valuable lessons and best practices from other school systems that will benefit Grand Rapids programming.
The Founding Managing Director directly manages Program Directors, who in turn manage Leadership Coaches and a Program Coordinator. This position is supported by our national development team. The position reports to the Vice President of Program Delivery and has the following primary responsibilities.
Overall Program Leadership and Management
- Lead a high-quality professional learning program for principals and teacher leaders serving in high-needs public schools by working closely with the Program Director and the program team to ensure principals and teacher leaders master and apply high leverage instructional and cultural leadership practices.
- Develop, manage, and refine coaching tools and resources in conjunction with the Program Team.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Leading Educators National Program and identify opportunities for continuous improvement in conjunction with national team members.
School System Partnerships
- Serve as the primary liaison between Leading Educators and partner school systems.
- Lead recruitment of partner school systems, including systems for building school system leaders' toolkits for identifying, selecting and leveraging high-potential leaders.
- Serve as a key adviser to the Doug & Maria DeVos Foundation on ongoing design and implementation of their broader urban education strategy.
- Build Leading Educators' profile with partners by working closely with community members, partner organizations, philanthropic entities, and other local stakeholders.
- Establish and leverage an Advisory Board focused on program growth and sustainability.
Finance and Administration
- Oversee project budget, finances, and data management systems.
- Ensure organizational infrastructure and operations provide effective support to program work streams.
- Manage donor relationship with the Doug & Maria DeVos Foundation, including strategic advising and grant compliance reporting.
- Commitment to creating outstanding schools in support of social justice and educational equity.
- A track record of producing measurable and significant results for students as a teacher and as a leader in an open-enrollment school serving students from low-income backgrounds.
- Significant experience in training and building systems to support instructional leaders in driving instruction that is content-based, aligned to research-based standards, and measurably improves student outcomes.
- Proven ability in donor relations/management.
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. Ability to build and light a path that leads to results for school systems and the students they serve.
- A minimum of a Master's degree and a passion for constant learning.
- Maintain extremely high expectations of oneself, colleagues, and clients; able to communicate those expectations in a direct and motivating way.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in K-12 education.
- Minimum of 5 years of school leadership experience, including staff recruitment, management, and development.
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally, up to 25%.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. In addition, Leading Educators offers a very generous benefits package including 100% paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for individual employees and a 4% matching 401k plan. Additional premium costs are covered by Leading Educators for partners and dependents on medical, dental, and vision plans. Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, childcare, and commuter expenses are available, as well as a very generous PTO plan. Benefits are valued at or above $7,500 for employees.
LEADING EDUCATORS ORGANIZATIONAL IMPACT
Leading Educators partners with schools and districts to maximize the leadership development of highly effective educators. Our goal is to identify, train, and support teacher leaders to raise student achievement and retain talented educators in high-need schools. Through our work, we create a larger, highly skilled talent pool to meet the nation's growing demand for high-impact teachers, middle leaders, and principals.
Leading Educators offers formal training sessions designed to be immediately applicable by teacher leaders. Expert faculty model new skills, facilitate targeted practice, and drive action planning for implementation. Leading Educators also provides customized teacher leadership development consulting for districts, charter management organizations, schools, state-level agencies, and non-profit organizations.
The Leading Educators Fellowship is a two-year program for teacher leaders. The program encompasses targeted training experiences, the community of a peer cohort, and the personal support of a coach in order to develop leadership and management skills that drive student achievement growth. Results from a preliminary RAND Corporation study found that teacher leaders enrolled in the Leading Educators programs showed statistically significant leadership skill growth and have remained in high-poverty schools at rates that were higher than or comparable to similar teachers in their school districts. In New Orleans, Fellows had a sizable, statistically significant impact on math achievement equivalent to 10 percentile point gain.
In the 2014-2015 school year, Leading Educators' work - including the Fellowship and beyond - reached over 814 teacher leaders, who led roughly 6,512 teachers and impacted a total of 187,220 students in about 194 schools across multiple cities and regions in the United States.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Leading Educators strongly values equity and challenges historical inequity with a persistent focus on dismantling systemic racism. We work towards a more just society and as such we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9z3ngyp3c4