SUPERINTENDENT-LOCAL DISTRICT SOUTH-LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is recruiting a visionary leader for the position of Superintendent for Local District South, who is passionate and skilled at fostering a dynamic teaching and learning environment for students and staff. LAUSD seeks an accomplished leader with considerable experience aligning student and school needs with the resources to ensure academic success.
Local District South covers the communities of South Los Angeles, Watts, Gardena, Carson, San Pedro, Lomita, Harbor City, and parts of Torrance. Local District South serves approximately 87,000 students in grades TK-12 across 86 elementary schools, 13 middle schools, 17 high schools (with 2 additional replication high schools in partnership with Great Public Schools Now opening the 2018-2019 school year), 17 early education centers, and 12 other types of schools that include special education centers, opportunity schools, and continuation high schools.
For more information related to Local District South visit their website at: https://achieve.lausd.net/ldsouth
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Local District Superintendent serves as the key leader accountable to ensure that all students have access to a rigorous education and graduate college-prepared and career- ready. The Local District Superintendent provides the leadership and support for schools within the South geographic area and has broad flexibility to drive student and school achievement in collaboration with students, staff, parents, and the community.
DESIRED LEADERSHIP QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE
• Possesses a track record of effective leadership and improving student academic achievement
• Successful experience with implementing research-based strategies to build capacity among stakeholders to ensure student academic and opportunity gaps are closed
• A leader who enthusiastically demonstrates leadership and fosters positive relationships between schools, families, and the community
• A forward-thinking instructional leader who demands the constant support of and advocacy for all student subgroups and targeted student populations
• Proven management and people skills and expertise as a team-builder
• Supports transparency and demonstrates integrity in dealing with all members of the
• Ability to inspire change and guide the successful implementation of instructional initiatives, including California State Standards or ELD Standards
• Successful experience as a teacher, principal, and district level administrator
• At least ten (10) years of successful full-time public school certificated experience
• At least five (5) years of management experience
• A valid California Administrative Services Credential
• An earned Master’s degree conferred by an accredited college or university
• Master Plan and Multicultural Education (Candidates have a year to complete requirements.)
APPLY BY MONDAY, JUNE 18, 2018—5:00 PM. Read more about the position/apply.
The Los Angeles Unified School District intends that all qualified persons shall have equal opportunities for employment and promotion.