Principal - Christo Rey Preparatory School of Houston.
Post Date: 10/17/2017
Job Posting: Principal
Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston (Cristo Rey Jesuit) is seeking a Principal (Director of Academics). Selected candidate will begin work on July 1, 2018.
Cristo Rey Jesuit is an apostolic work of the Society of Jesus serving the Catholic Church's mission of education in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. The school opened its doors in August 2009 with a freshman class of 81 young men and women. Sponsored by the Jesuits of the USA Central and Southern Province, Cristo Rey Jesuit offers a rigorous college prep education available to students of limited economic resources in the Houston area. A unique Corporate Work Study Program places students in Houston businesses and non-profits where they learn the expectations of the corporate world and earn up to 50 percent of the cost of their education. Cristo Rey Jesuit belongs to the national Cristo Rey Network of schools and the national Jesuit Schools Network.
To inspire and prepare students of limited economic resources to succeed in college and lead their communities as compassionate, committed, and competent men and women for others for the greater glory of God.
Compelled by our Jesuit mission and identity, we are a vibrant community that transforms the world by loving, learning, and excelling in all we do.
Our Learning Community
Cristo Rey Jesuit is a learning community comprised of 550 young men and women in grades 9 through 12 and a faculty and staff of 80 educators. Cristo Rey Jesuit students are talented young men and women who participate actively in their learning endeavors. We are implementing a new Strategic Plan designed to achieve excellence in all areas of the school, particularly in the human and religious qualities of our graduates. This plan, our “Path to Excellence”, defined four Strategic Priorities: Jesuit Identity; Educational Experience and College Success; Community; and Sustainability. The ideal Cristo Rey Jesuit graduate is a man or woman cognizant of God’s presence in his/her life, who strives to be steadfast in faith, open to growth, committed to service and social justice, dedicated to academic excellence, and work-experienced. Every year, 100% of our graduates are accepted into colleges and universities. Cristo Rey Jesuit’s faculty and staff are dedicated professionals who strive to embody the mission and core principles of the school, maintain the superior quality of its programs, invest directly in the lives of students, and engage in programs for their own professional and spiritual development. In 2017, Cristo Rey Jesuit renewed its accreditation by the Cristo Rey Network, the Jesuit Schools Network, and the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department.
Position Specification: Principal
Reporting to the President of the school, the Principal is the chief academic officer and instructional leader of Cristo Rey Jesuit, responsible for teaching and learning through a well-developed curriculum and the cultivation of our school’s Catholic and Jesuit identity. The Principal provides mission leadership for faculty and students, supports high quality classroom instruction, and assures the orderly functioning of the school. The Principal is responsible for creating and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement that provides students with multiple opportunities to develop and demonstrate proficiency. The Principal is a member of the school’s leadership team, actively collaborating with the Corporate Work Study Program Director, Development Director, Finance Director and Admissions Director. He or she oversees a faculty and staff of over 40 full and part-time employees, including Jesuit Volunteers, and manages program expenses comprising the majority of the school’s operating budget.
- Set the direction, coordinate, and evaluate all aspects of academics at Cristo Rey Jesuit in a manner consistent with our identity as a Catholic and Jesuit school
- Work with teachers to improve instruction, supervising and providing consistent feedback to help them realize human and academic excellence for all students
- Ensure the development and implementation of a rigorous, college-ready curriculum, within the framework of Ignatian pedagogy, so that all students can achieve at high levels
- Lead teachers in interpreting and using student achievement data to inform instruction
- Develop and review campus policies and procedures
- Recruit, select, and retain faculty, administrators, instructional and extracurricular staff who are best fitted to the Jesuit mission of the school
- Develop and execute an effective faculty and staff professional development program, ensuring classroom impact
- Coordinate with the Director of the Corporate Work Study Program the scheduling, student work assignments, discipline and overall progress of the students.
- Foster strong interpersonal and professional relationships with faculty, staff, leadership team, and other school constituencies
- Work to ensure that the academic and instruction expenditures operate within budgetary guidelines
- Report at regular intervals on student academic progress to parents, faculty, related school committees, the Board of Trustees, and other constituents
- Coordinate and supervise the accreditation processes for the school
- Represent Cristo Rey Jesuit to the local Archdiocesan Office of Education, Jesuit School Network, Cristo Rey Network, accrediting bodies, as well as other appropriate meetings and activities that relate to the academic and instructional aspects of the school
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to Catholic and Jesuit, faith-based education
- Proven commitment and capacity to serve and connect on a personal level with low-income, urban, minority students and families
- Exceptional leadership and management skills to inspire, lead, and work collegially with faculty and staff, challenge students to high levels of achievement, and engage families in their child’s education
- Strong background in developing and implementing a rigorous, standards-based, college-ready curriculum
- Demonstrated success as an instructional leader who can create and sustain a student-centered learning environment
- At least five years of experience supervising and evaluating faculty and staff
- Evidence of an ability to analyze and utilize data to increase student achievement and effect school improvement
- Persuasive communication style, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Master’s degree in education required
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Experience managing a school budget is a plus
- A practicing Catholic who values the Church’s mission of service, education, and social justice
- Passion and commitment for providing excellent, Catholic and Jesuit education to economically disadvantaged young people
- Belief in the ability of urban young people to achieve at the same level as their suburban peers
- A lifelong learner who is diligent about staying current in research on secondary education and strives for continuous improvement
- Commitment to ongoing formation in Ignatian spirituality and pedagogy
- Innovation, creativity and an ability to manage a variety of activities and situations
- A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, yet motivates, guides, and engages others in an enthusiastic way
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Capacity to work collaboratively with others
Procedure for Candidacy
All interested and qualified applicants with a passion for Cristo Rey Jesuit’s mission are invited to apply. A complete application will include:
- Cover Letter: Please write a letter limited to three pages that answers the following questions:
- What attracts you to Cristo Rey Jesuit’s mission?
- How would you describe your philosophy of education? How would you put it into practice at Cristo Rey Jesuit?
- How would you describe your leadership style? What past experiences in educational leadership best align with your perception of the challenges in shaping a school culture that is supportive of low income students and their families?
- What qualities and dispositions do you look for when hiring teachers and staff? How do you support, evaluate, and train teachers?
- How would you ensure the Catholic identity of our school? How would you define effective Catholic leadership?
- References: Please list three professional references with their email address and telephone numbers.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The new principal will begin work on July 1, 2018.
Please email your completed application as an attached PDF to email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cristo Rey Jesuit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions, policies, and practices are made in accordance with applicable federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws. Cristo Rey Jesuit will not engage or tolerate unlawful discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.