Principal and Site Administrator - San Francisco Public Schools - San Francisco, CA
Post Date: 03/16/2017
Principal and Site Administrator
2017-18 School Year Job Description
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
When you join our team at SFUSD you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused organization that approaches public education as a social justice movement, requiring broad collaboration across an array of strategic partners. In 2014, SFUSD created an inspiring statement, Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives., SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission, steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and problem solvers who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As the School Principal, we see you as the educational leader and administrator of the school. You will report to the Assistant Superintendent of your cohort, be a part of the Leadership, Equity, Achievement, & Design (LEAD) team, and a district leader in closing the opportunity gap and promoting the achievement of all students. You will help to lead transformational work to deliver on the promises outlined in both Transform Learning. Transform Lives. as well as our long-term, city-wide North Star, Vision 2025. We want someone who has knowledge of and experience leading a school community guided by:
- Principles of child, early adolescent, and education psychology;
- California Core Curriculum and Content Standards and 21st century curriculum;
- Equity-centered professional learning communities;
- Culturally and linguistically responsive pedagogy;
- Assets/Strength-based models of education through behavioral and academic Response to Instruction and Intervention (RTI2) approaches;
- Restorative justice/practices models to ensure and enhance student/staff well-being and safety.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Knowledge of San Francisco’s urban public schools and a passionate belief in SFUSD’s commitment to instructional leadership as a lever toward delivering on the SFUSD Graduate Profile.
- Experience facilitating the development and implementation of the site’s balanced scorecard that is aligned with the district’s strategic plan.
- A proven record of creating conditions for teacher effectiveness, student success, and strong home-school partnerships.
- Experience ensuring that all students receive a 21st century education that is academically rigorous, personalized, relevant, and engaging while building a safe and supportive school culture.
- Ability to implement the California Standards of the Teaching Profession (CSTPs) to provide formative and summative performance assessments of staff.
- Ability to lead professional development and influence and motivate staff to improve their practice.
- Proficiency with data and technology to inform decisions and prepare a variety of reports (including student attendance, progress reports, work orders, budget, general accounting, safety plans, surveys, etc.).
- A proven record of persevering when working across multiple functions and roles within a complex organization to achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build positive working relationships with senior level district staff, colleagues, parents, and community.
- Strong computer skills including Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Perform any and all other duties as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent or Superintendent’s Designee.
- At least 3 years of administrative experience at the school site level.
- Bilingual/biliterate – especially in Spanish and/or Cantonese or Mandarin.
- Bilingual or immersion program leadership or implementation experience.
- Knowledge of or experience implementing Response to Intervention and Instruction (RTI2), Restorative Justice/Practices model and protocols, and Balanced Literacy.
- Strategic leadership and management experience in a K-12 urban public educational setting.
- Previous experience as a site administrator – Principal or Assistant Principal.
- At least 5 years of classroom teaching experience.
- Valid Administrative Services Credential and a clear teaching credential in the appropriate area, as required by the California EdCode, Section 44860. BCLAD or English Learner Authorization required.
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
- Visit http://www.sfusd.edu/jobs and create a new certificated administrative account to begin your application.
- You will be prompted to electronically attach a letter of interest, resume, references, and administrative credentials/licenses.
- Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process
San Francisco Unified School District is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. SFUSD does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.