Executive Director of Student Services, Stafford County Public Schools, VA
About the position:
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF STUDENT SERVICES
STAFFORD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
STAFFORD COUNTY is located in northern Virginia nestled 40 miles south of Washington, D.C. and 55 miles north of Richmond, Virginia right off the I-95 corridor. The Potomac River flows along the eastern border of the county. Historical sites, as well as cultural and recreational opportunities, are plentiful for the residents of Stafford County. Residents are able to travel 70 miles to reach the Shenandoah National Forest and 160 miles to visit Virginia Beach. The University of Mary Washington, ranked by Forbes as a 2018 America’s Top College, is located in the adjacent City of Fredericksburg with a graduate campus in Stafford County.
STAFFORD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS is home to 17 elementary schools, 8 middle schools, 5 high schools, the Phoenix Center for Innovative Learning and two (2) early childhood learning centers. The district’s enrollment of approximately 29,000 PK-12 students is supported by almost 4,000 contracted staff members and an operating budget of over $300 million. We take pride in our great diversity and highly professional staff.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Superintendent, this position directs and assumes a key leadership role for the school district. This position directs the design, planning, development, and implementation of special education and related services, psychological, social work, and counseling programs, health services, and Section 504, to further the goals of the school district. This leadership position is designed to improve the quality of assessment, curriculum, and instructional services, and maintain compliance with special education programs and services delivered by the school district. The incumbent in this position will serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree required.
• Eligible for a license issued by the Virginia Department of Education with an endorsement in Administration & Supervision required.
• Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible and successful service in district-wide student services leadership required.
• Prior experience as a school-based administrator strongly desired.
• Track record of improving academic outcomes for students and eliminating disparities in achievement, opportunities and services for all students.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of general and special education curriculum, instructional best practices, and special education law.
• Ability to provide program oversight of PK-12 programs for students in all areas of disability.
• Ability to make critical evaluations or suggestions for improving curriculum, services, and programming in academic, social, emotional, health, and career planning.
• Ability to coordinate, collaborate with, and oversee staff in the development and implementation of all requirements related to special education, evaluation and assessment, intervention practices, curriculum, articulation and direction of skills and content of specialized programs, counseling, health, and other related services for the division.
• Ability to make critical assessments or suggestions for training, implementation, and improvement of practices.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others, including, but not limited to the Department of Learning and Organizational Development, Chief Academic Officers, the Department of Financial Services, and the Department of Human Resources.
• Ability to align program initiatives with school district strategies as well as the mission, vision, core values, and beliefs of the district.
• Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills, with a thorough knowledge of English grammar and usage.
• Ability to develop and implement programs/initiatives in all area of student services to include health and counseling services.
• Ability to synthesize the philosophy of the school district and the needs of the individual schools.
• Ability to create and maintain a budget for the department.
• Ability to demonstrate effective management and leadership skills.
• Ability to schedule events and evaluate personnel.
SALARY RANGE: Regionally Competitive Salary Up to $148,876 (commensurate with experience).
START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested and qualified candidates can apply for this opportunity by using our on-line application at: https://munisselfservice.staffordschools.net/MSS/.
Benefits and other information can be found at: https://www.staffordschools.net/Page/13856.
You may also contact the Department of Human Resources at (540) 658-6560 for further information.