Executive Director of School Leadership and Performance - Salt Lake City Public Schools - Salt Lake City - UT
POST DATE: 05/10/2017
- Executive Director of School Leadership and PerformanceJobID: 2768
- Position Type:
Cabinet/Executive Level/Executive Director
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
Executive Director of School Leadership and Performance
Calendar: 223 Days
Priority Screen Date: May 12, 2017
The job of Executive Director of School Leadership and Performance (ED) at Salt Lake City School District (SLCSD) advances the District’s mission of providing quality education and lifelong learning through comprehensive coaching, leadership and supervision of the Network directors, (supervisors of the school principals). The ED also supervises the departments of Athletics, Alternative and Adult Education, CTE and the Focus Schools Supervisor.
The ED provides positive leadership and guidance to create continuous improvement toward equity, excellence and achievement for each student. The ED will engage in activities such as: creating stability, consistency and supervision across school-based administration activities; provide support and inspiration for innovative programs; collaborate with district employees and community members; provide supervision, evaluation, coaching and growth-evoking feedback to the Network directors and other staff; implement policies/procedures/processes to improve educational experiences; develop and deploy professional development activities for staff; facilitate learning community meetings; communicate across all constituencies in a professional, persuasive manner; develop and deploy research-based school improvement strategies, etc…
This position reports directly to the district Superintendent.
Essential Job Functions:
o Maintain laser-like focus on leadership, direction and commitment to equity, excellence and achievement for each student; develop and implement procedures to improve learning and working outcomes; assess and deploy resources for an appropriate, safe, working and learning environment.
o Create and facilitate professional learning communities within the school administration to share best practices and support each other in the mission of the district.
o Model and teach effective leadership qualities, style and culture of collaboration.
o Establish effective, growth-minded relationships with school administration and district departments to appropriately address the needs of the schools and district.
o Prepare and present reports and recommendations to the Board of Education regarding district programs and school level improvement and innovation activities.
o Implement policies/procedures/programs for the purpose of providing direction and/or complying with mandated requirements.
o Provide support for the development, implementation, and assessment of methodologies or models targeting the academic progress of diverse student populations; exceptional student programming, including accelerated/extended learning programs and English Language Learner needs.
o Respond appropriately and timely to concerns of school leadership, Network directors, staff and learning community members.
o Coach, mentor, evaluate and deliver growth-evoking feedback of the performance and conduct of all assigned personnel; develop and deliver professional growth activities designed to engage staff to support individual school/district goals and programs to improve student achievement.
o Incorporate culturally competent strategies and utilize culturally responsive communication/engagement strategies with all members of the learning community.
o Analyze and interpret data to direct implementation of achievement strategies to improve school operations.
o Manage budgets in alignment with the district mission and Student Achievement Plan, following district budget, procurement and accounting policies and procedures with integrity and ethics.
o Lead and direct development, deployment and supervision of student activities with consideration of academic, social and ethical growth.
o Provide support and inspiration for students, staff and the learning community to achieve the mission of the district.
o Ethical, courteous and professional conduct throughout employment activities.
o Skill in maintaining regular and predictable attendance for the purpose of fulfilling job requirements efficiently and effectively. Will be required to attend activities, events, and meetings outside of normal work hours on a regular basis.
o Competency in critical thinking, decision-making and resolving complex issues or crises in a reasonable manner.
o Other duties as assigned.
19. Master’s degree in Education or related field.
20. State of Utah Administrative/Supervisory License or an out of state license that is transferrable to Utah.
21. At least 5 years of principal experience in a public elementary, middle/junior, or senior high school.
22. At least three years of experience as a high school principal.
23. At least two years of experience as a supervisor, coach or trainer for school-based leadership.
24. Experience coordinating and successfully executing school improvement plans.
25. Understanding of current and emerging trends related to school environments, determining educational needs, developing programs, supervision/evaluation of implemented programs, and experience managing District, State, and Federal programs for compliance.
26. Strong understanding of Elementary, Middle, and High School operations.
27. Commitment to complete integrity, trust and respect in dealings with all constituencies.
28. Strong political and diplomatic sensitivity.
29. Excellent organizational and planning skills.
30. Ability to work effectively: independently and as part of a team.
31. Excellent writing, presentation, speaking and listening skills.
32. Demonstrated history of initiative and resourcefulness.
33. Communicate effectively and maintain good working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds- ability, culture, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
34. Experience with facilitating professional learning communities with school administration.
35. Experience in creating sharing, supportive and mentoring environments
36. Ability to develop positive working relationships with learning community stakeholders.
37. Ability to develop and maintain the confidence and trust of senior leadership at the district.
Salary Schedule: Superintendency