Assistant Superintendent Special Education - El Paso ISD - El Paso, TX
Job Title: Assistant Superintendent Special Education Wage/Hour Status: Daily, Exempt and Special Services
Reports to: Deputy Superintendent Pay Grade: D14 Academics and School Leadership
Dept/School: Special Education & Special Services Date Revised: August 17, 2016
Oversees the administration, coordination, and supervision of the District’s Special Education programs, Dyslexia Related Disorders, Regional Day School for the Deaf, and Health Services.
Master’s Degree, Doctoral Degree desirable Valid Texas Principal Certificate
- Knowledge of special education programs
- Knowledge of compliance issues related to special education
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction for children with disabilities
Five years campus and/or related administrative experience
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Instructional and Program Management
- Assists in determination of special education programs required by schools and as defined by law.
- Makes appropriate recommendations for compliance, innovation, and identified need.
- Provides guidance in compliance for curriculum and instruction practices and needs; recommends programmatic and staff changes to Chief School Administration and Leadership.
- Coordinates and provides assistance to campus level administration for the provision of special education, and health services.
- Works with staff in program evaluation, design, interpretation of data, and scientific decision-making strategies.
- Provides leadership and support for special education and health services in the District.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Attends Board meetings and prepares reports as requested by the Deputy Superintendent Academics and School Leadership.
- Adheres to District, local, state, and federal rules, regulations, and policies.
- Administers Board policies and rules relating to special education programs and dyslexia related disorders.
- Provides direction to staff and keeps staff informed as to policies, applicable laws, and interpretation of court decisions, regulations, and rules affecting the Special Education Department.
Budget and Inventory
- Assists in the preparation and administration of department budgets.
106040 Assistant Superintendent Special Education and Special Services
Communication and Community Relations
- Assures communication and dissemination of program information to professional staff, school personnel, parents, Board of Trustees, and the Superintendent’s Leadership Team.
- Provides direction and information to Board of Trustees and the Superintendent’s Leadership Team on issues specific to the Department of Special Education.
- Maintains liaison and active participation with regional, state, and national educational leaders.
- Keeps current on development of inclusion options, federal guidelines, and recent trends in Special Education.
- Prepares and participates in professional growth seminars and workshops.
Supervises and evaluates assigned personnel.
Physical and Mental Job Requirements
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
Maintains emotional control under stress and works with frequent interruptions; occasional prolonged and irregular hours; ability to travel.
Terms of Employment
226 days; salary to be established by the Board of Trustees