Assistant Principal - College Park Academy - Prince George County, MD
Post Date: 12/19/2016
Position: Assistant Principal
Location: Prince George County, MD
Under general supervision of a principal, the assistant principal assists in operating the instructional program and providing educational leadership for the staff, students, and the community of an elementary or secondary school program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Assist the principal in leading and implementing a cohesive educational program for assigned students in accordance with the district’s eight leader standards:
- Set high expectations for achievement based on individualized tailoring of instruction, rigorous data analysis, and evaluation of effective instruction practices;
- Set standards for ensuring school-wide instructional and achievement goals are met based upon implementation of effective pedagogical practices, data analysis, and monitoring of research-based instructional practices;
- Monitor effective instructional practices through observation and evaluation;
- Build a shared vision, fostering shared goals, and communicate high performance expectations;
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence, equity and innovation;
- Demonstrate human resource and managerial leadership;
- Demonstrate strong external leadership; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of the use of technology and data.
- Assisting in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of instructional programs;
- Assuming responsibility for specific areas of administration and management assigned by the principal; using administrative and management practices which promote efficient and effective operation of the school;
- Participating in a variety of student activities; collaborating with special services personnel, assisting in the maintenance of standards concerning students' discipline, health, safety and general welfare;
- Assisting in a variety of administrative responsibilities, including student transportation, maintenance of buildings and facilities, cafeteria operations, and after-hours use of facilities;
- Assisting in the development and execution of in-service training programs;
- Counseling teachers on instructional, professional or administrative matters; assisting with classroom teaching or behavior problems;
- Assuming responsibility for the operation of the school in the absence of the principal;
- Working under the general supervision of and supporting the school principal; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated belief that all children can achieve at high levels;
- Extensive knowledge of the school system’s curriculum and supervision practices and trends;
- Ability to plan organize and coordinate both instructional and operational support programs;
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills; and
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
Master’s degree required. An emphasis in supervision, educational administration, or elementary/secondary school curriculum is preferred. Three years teaching experience required.
Maryland Advanced Professional Certificate; Administrator I Certification required. Must complete Framework for Teaching (FfT) certification within six months of assuming the role.
Evaluates and supervises school staff in the absence of the Principal.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and use fingers, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, the ability to adjust focus, and depth perception. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 25 lbs.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
PLEASE SEND RESUME to HR.Recruitment@PGCPS.org