REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION
ALAS Superintendents Leadership Academy
Please read the information below for program requirements, selection criteria, selection decisions, and program session attendance.
- All Superintendent Leadership Academy participants must be members of ALAS.
- All SLA participants will pledge to attend all sessions of the ALAS SLA including the ALAS Education Summit.
- ALAS Superintendent Leadership Academy participants will be required to pay a $2,000 registration fee.
- ALAS will cover most meals while at the SLA sessions.
- SLA participants are required to self pay lodging and airfare to attend SLA sessions.
- ALAS reserves the right to make necessary adjustments to these program requirements as circumstance may change from time to time.
ALAS seeks to mentor and prepare aspiring Latinx superintendents with the knowledge, skills and contacts necessary to lead a school district with an emerging Latinx student population or a Hispanic-serving school district having a Latinx student population of 20 percent or more. The selection process is highly competitive due to the limited number of slots available. Ideally, candidates should be in their current position for at least one year and in a high-level central office leadership position for 3-4 years. Most candidates are serving at a cabinet level position. Candidates can also be principals, or program directors. In addition, a candidate should have:
- A proven track record of leadership and/or management in an educational organization;
- Ability to understand, lead and manage in a complex political organization and work well in a diverse setting;
- High level of energy, determination, and perseverance to act as a change agent in a demanding organization;
- Ability to learn quickly, possess analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work and succeed as a school system leader in a Hispanic-serving school district or in an urban setting;
- Commitment to equity, excellence, and closing achievement gaps for all students;
- Passion for improving public education and a long-term commitment to K-12 education; and
- Commitment to the mission and ideals of ALAS.
All applications are reviewed by the ALAS SLA Selection Committee. The ALAS SLA Selection Committee Members have a strong understanding of the skills needed to succeed as a superintendent. Final decisions on admission are made in July of each year.
Program Session Attendance
Participants are required to attend program sessions held monthly (except for December and March) beginning in July and ending in May of the following year. The program is comprised of eight sessions covering various content strands. Participants are provided required readings, assignments and activities as part of each session.
NOTE: Participants will be dismissed and not be allowed to complete the program if they miss more than one session; if they are not ready to fully participate in this high level leadership program; or if they are not committed to the ideals of ALAS by violating the code of conduct.